Fun festive fare
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 big eggs
- 1½ cups of milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- butter for cooking
1. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk eggs and milk together; add this to the dry mix.
3. Stir until smooth then mix in melted butter.
4. Melt butter in frypan until hot.
5. Pour about ¼ cup of the batter into the hot pan.
6. Cook until bubbles start to form and the bottom is beginning to brown. Turn and brown on the other side.
TO MAKE THE SANTA
WHAT YOU NEED
- strawberries, hulled and sliced crossways
- can of whipped cream
- 2 chocolate buds
- 1 marshmallow, cut through the middle to make two flat circles.
1. Place a pancake on a big plate.
2. Use strawberry slices to make a Santa hat shape.
3. Use marshmallow circles for eyes with chocolate buds as the centres of the eyes.
4. Use can of whipped cream to make beard, moustache and fur at the bottom of the hat. Don’t forget to put a cream pompom on the tip of the hat.
5. Eat as soon as it is finished so the cream doesn’t melt.
YOU WILL NEED
- plain pop sticks
- black felt-tipped pen
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 1/4 cups of plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cooking chocolate buds
- 1 packet of red raspberry lollies
- 1 block of milk or dark chocolate
1. Decorate one end of your pop stick with a Christmas message and/or simple paint design.
2. Preheat oven to 175C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
3. Use electric beaters to cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs and vanilla then mix well.
5. Keep mixing and slowly add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
6. Use a wooden spoon to fold in the chocolate buds and half a packet of red raspberries. The mixture should be very thick; if not, add a little more plain flour.
7. Roll one tablespoon of mixture into balls and place on baking tray; flatten slightly. Decorate with leftover red raspberries and chunks of chocolate broken from the block.
8. Place in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
9. Remove from the oven. Leave biscuits on tray and ask an adult to place the undecorated end of the pop stick into the hot cookie to make a lollipop. Be careful, the tray will be very hot.
10. When biscuits and tray have cooled, tie a ribbon around the pop stick to decorate.
© The West Australian
More Food and Recipes:thewest.food